Practice Areas include:
Mr. Gertsburg has been in private practice for over fifteen years. The first half of his career was spent working for two large regional business law firms – Roetzel & Andress and Calfee, Halter & Griswold. There he represented private and publicly- traded companies and non-profit organizations of all sizes, as well as their owners, in litigation along the entire spectrum of business disputes: commercial and contract, real estate, shareholder and partnership, broker-dealer, employment, unfair competition, and many others. In civil bench and jury trials and before arbitration panels, Mr. Gertsburg has spent his career zealously representing his clients’ business interests before tribunals around the country.
In 2003, Mr. Gertsburg was called up with the 762d Transportation Co., an Army Reserve Unit based in Akron, Ohio, to serve in Iraq. He deployed with his unit for a year, serving as a platoon leader and convoy commander before demobilizing from active duty in 2004 and returning to the practice of law. By that time, Mr. Gertsburg had trained and served as an officer in the Army Reserve for ten years.
In 2006, Mr. Gertsburg was tapped to serve as the first General Counsel for Broadvox, a Cleveland-based leading next-generation telecommunications company. For the next ten years and until the company was sold, Mr. Gertsburg served as its GC and Corporate Secretary, as well as an EVP and head of its human resources department. He led the company’s legal department through numerous and varied legal matters, including corporate restructurings; real estate deals and mergers and acquisitions; negotiations and transactions involving commercial, lender and investor parties; employment matters and creditors’ rights, among others; and he spearheaded the company’s litigation strategy, personally litigating most of its cases himself. Most importantly, while at Broadvox, Mr. Gertsburg developed an acute appreciation for what matters most to businesses: practical and cost-effective results. That same sense of priority and pragmatism now dominates his firm’s governing philosophy.
In addition to his current service as an officer of the company and the court, Mr. Gertsburg previously served as a proud member of the Board of Directors of Transitional Housing (now called Front Steps), a non- profit residential and social service organization assisting homeless women in the Cleveland area. He also served on the Board of the VON Coalition, a Washington, D.C.- based advocacy group representing companies specializing in Voice on the Net (or VoIP, Voice over Internet Protocol) technology.
Outside of law, Mr. Gertsburg enjoys riding his Harley V-Rod, spending time with his three children, hiking, and reading world history and politics.
Mr. Gertsburg is admitted to practice in the following courts:
- All Ohio State Courts
- The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Mr. Gertsburg graduated magna cum laude from the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, and was honored with membership in the Order of the Barristers as a result of his successful tenure in the law school’s moot court program. In law school he also served as an extern for the late Hon. John Manos of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio. He earned his B.A. from Miami University in 1997, where he studied political science and sociology.
“Bulletproofing Your Contracts” Alex Gertsburg, BizConCle, October 2016, Cleveland: Alex sheds light on the key elements of business contracts – from understanding thresholds to the various types of contracts a business may enter into.
“What to Do When it Hits the Fan” Alex Gertsburg and Bruce Hennes of Hennes Communications, August 2016, Chagrin Falls: Alex and Bruce discuss how to protect and defend your business both inside and outside the courtroom when facing a crisis.
Growing Rapidly Through Innovative Business Practices — In this podcast, Alex was interviewed by Law Firm Excellence.
Minding Your Business on WJCU 88.7FM – Alex answers questions about Salary Transparency with DB and her guests [16:30]. What can, and can’t, be shared when it comes to how much you make in the workplace.
3(ish) Minutes: New Trends in Law Firm Billing – The Gertsburg Law Firm is the first all value-billing business law firm in Northeast Ohio. This means we bill for our work product and our results, not the amount of time we spend on it. Alex sat down with Steve Millard of COSE to explain innovative new billing strategies that law firms and their clients are using. Watch this short video to learn about ways to save money on your legal expenses.
See a list of Alex Gertsburg’s blog posts here.
Awards and Recognition
- 10.0 Superb AVVO Rating
- AVVO Client Service Award 2013-2016
- AVVO Client’s Choice Award, 2016
- AV® Preeminent Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers, 2015-2017
- COSE Expert
- Crain’s Cleveland Business, 40 under 40, 2012
- Led and managed multiple buy-side and sell-side merger and acquisition transactions for Broadvox, Inc. valued at over $100 million.
- Obtained trial verdict in favor of client in Sonis v. Rasner, recovering stolen funds from predatory immigration consultant, and then affirmed judgment on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal of $125 million federal patent infringement lawsuit in New York in Rates Technology, Inc. v. Broadvox, Inc., a case filed by a company identified as America’s second-largest patent troll.
- Obtained favorable resolution for Broadvox, Inc. in litigation with another patent troll in federal lawsuit in Dallas, Texas.
- Overturned denial of significant variance request for auto dealership in dispute with local zoning authorities in Florida municipality.
- Lead counsel in five simultaneous transactions by local commercial real estate developer.
- Resolved highly-contentious shareholder dispute on behalf of corporate client accused of fraud by minority shareholder.
- Obtained favorable resolution on behalf of brokerage firm in dispute over commissions with its client.
- Represented insurance agency in sale to national banking affiliate.
- Lead counsel in purchase of commercial real estate repurposed as a community recreational facility.
- Obtained favorable resolution of copyright infringement dispute for local business accused of improperly using images of third party on website.
- Obtained judgment in favor of client in federal court in Atlanta, Georgia in Abovenet v. Cypress Communications, in which client was accused of breaching a commercial telecommunications agreement.
- Litigated and secured favorable resolutions of class action in Zaccharias v. Cypress Communications, relating to accusations of violation of telecom billing regulations Chicago, IL.
Recovered significant portion of funds owed to client from commercial tenant in breach of lease agreement dispute in southern Ohio.
- Obtained complete recovery of stolen funds for client from insurance company that had insured real estate title agent who had absconded with client’s earnest money in real estate purchase transaction.
- Won summary judgment for client seller of automobile accused of defrauding buyer. Knight v. Horace Mann Insurance Co. (Cuyahoga County).
- Litigated and secured favorable jury verdict for client in QSP v. Gibson, in which executive was accused of violating a non-competition and confidentiality agreement (Cuyahoga County).
- Founder of the We Solve Problems High School Essay Contest
- Smile for a Lifetime, Board Member, 2016-present
- Front Steps, Board Member, 2010-2012
- Cleveland Heights Fair Housing Board, Board Member, 2004-2005