Skillful Chagrin Falls and Cleveland Wills Lawyers Offering Competent Estate Planning Advice
Helping clients throughout Ohio avoid probate and ensure their legacies
The task of distributing property after a death can prove extremely challenging, but it is even more difficult without a will. Increased emotions, mixed with financial interests, lead to situations that often become adversarial. You can help prevent negativity among your loved ones by creating an estate plan that clearly directs the distribution of your assets. A seasoned Chagrin Falls attorney provides valuable assistance in the creation of a will. At Gertsburg Law, our team of experienced attorneys has helped numerous individuals plan for the orderly distribution of their property.
Trustworthy advice for creating a will
Wills clearly communicate your wishes regarding the distribution of your estate. Our lawyers routinely assist clients in creating various types of wills, including:
- Last will and testament. A simple will is an effective estate-planning tool for individuals with uncomplicated estates. It is a straightforward direction on how your assets should be divided among your survivors.
- Pour-over will. A pour-over will involves the creation of a trust. At the time of your death, your assets are transferred into the trust. A trustee then distributes the property among your beneficiaries according to your wishes.
- Living will. An advanced medical directive is also referred to as a living will because it states your wishes regarding medical care administered during your life. Should you become incapacitated and unable to adequately communicate verbally, the living will tells family and medical professionals what treatment you do and do not want. For example, your living will may state that you do not want to be kept alive through life support.
- Joint will. Joint wills involve two or more individuals, and they generally serve two purposes. First, the will states that the individual who dies first leaves all of his property to the surviving individual(s). It then provides direction about the distribution of property upon the remaining survivor’s death. Married couples often use joint wills to distribute their marital assets.
A knowledgeable Cleveland wills attorney helps you decide which will best meets your needs and wishes for your estate. At Gertsburg Law, we take the time to explain the advantages and disadvantages of each option so you can make an informed decision.
Helping clients create enforceable wills
Many people attempt to write a will without the assistance of legal counsel, but this can prove a costly mistake. When reviewing the validity of a will, Ohio probate courts may consider a variety of factors, including:
- The age of the testator
- The mental capacity of the testator at the time of the will’s execution
- The form of the will (in writing)
- The testator’s signature
- Witness signatures
- Circumstances surrounding the creation of the will
Problems with any of these matters can cause the court to invalidate the will and all of its provisions. Our skilled Cleveland lawyers work with clients to create wills that are valid and enforceable under Ohio law.
Trust your estate planning needs to an experienced Chagrin Falls law firm
The attorneys of Gertsburg Law possess years of wills and estates law experience. We ensure that each of our estate planning clients receives quality representation from dedicated attorneys. Our team proudly provides estate-planning services to the residents of Cleveland and Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Contact our office today at 440.683.6383 or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation.